To all the Pumpkin Pie lovers out there, have you tried Sweet Potato Pie? This Sweet Potato Pie recipe is packed full of flavour, perfect for Fall and provides a bit of a twist to the holiday classic – Pumpkin Pie!!
Sweet Potato Pie with Maple Pecan Topping
- 2 cups of cooked mashed sweet potatoes (~1 pound uncooked)
- 6 Tbsp. butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 3 Tbsp. molasses
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 Deep Dish Pastry pie shell
Maple Pecan Topping:
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
1) Preheat oven to 425°F/220°C
2) Using either a stander mixer or an electric hand mixer, in a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar together until smooth.
3) Beat in eggs, one egg at a time.
4) Add evaporated milk and molasses and beat until combined.
5) Add mashed cooked sweet potatoes to the pie filling mixture and beat until combined.
6) Add vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Ensure everything well.
7) Pour sweet potato pie filling into the pie shell. Tip: Filling should be enough to fill 2 pie shells
8) Bake at 425°F/220°C for approximately 15 minutes.
9) Mix chopped pecans with maple syrup until evenly coated, set aside.
10) Lower the oven temperature to 350°F/ 175°C, then spread the maple pecan topping over the top of the pie and continue baking for approximately 40 more minutes.
11) Take out and let it cool completely. Store in the refrigerator.
Sweet Potato Pie vs. Pumpkin Pie – It’s a Win Win!
Sweet Potato Pie is very similar in taste and consistency to Pumpkin Pie, but has a creamier texture. Sweet potato has a naturally sweeter flavour, and lends itself easily to dessert. As vegetables, pumpkin and sweet potatoes both contain an abundance of nutrients, however sweet potatoes tend to be more dense and contains more dietary fibre, vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamins B1, B5 and B6. Pumpkin on the other hand is rich in vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamins B2 and B3. Basically…. you can’t go wrong with either but if you feel like remixing a classic – this Sweet Potato Pie might be just the fit!