It’s always essential to ensure you stay hydrated, this becomes even more important as we approach the summer months. An increase in heat can increase the risk of dehydration. Let’s take a look at how we can minimize the risk of dehydration during these hot summer months.
Let’s Be Prepared!
Signs and symptoms of dehydration can include confusion, headaches, darker concentrated urine, poor skin turgor, fatigue, dry mouth, and dizziness. Don’t wait for signs & symptoms of dehydration to occur. Let’s be proactive and drink fluids frequently to keep ourselves hydrated!
Easy Ways to Prevent Dehydration
- Don’t wait until you feel thirsty to drink – ensure you’re drinking fluids all day and always have water within reach.
- Don’t skip meals – Eat well balanced meals including fruits & vegetables as they contain large amounts of water, salt & vitamins that can help prevent dehydration.
- This is a tough one for all of us but – limit your coffee and caffeinated drinks.
- If exercising, ensure to drink water before, during and after.
- Consume extra fluids when it’s hot – humid weather will make you sweat more and you will need to take in extra fluids to offset your losses.
Did you know foods high in fluid content can promote hydration too?
- Fruit / Applesauce
- Ice Cream / Ice Cream Bars
- Gelatin / Jell-O
- Yogurt / Yogurt Tubes
Visiting Family & Friends? Offer to Bring a Beverage Along!
Whether visiting friends or family outside, in the lounge or joining in a virtual call, offer them a beverage of their choice to allow them to enjoy in good company!