Looking for a last-minute gift idea or perhaps just wanting a tasty treat to warm up with this chilly season? This is the recipe for you!
- 16-24 ounces melted and tempered pure milk chocolate or melted compound chocolate (candy melts, almond bark, melting wafers) – you’ll need the larger amount if you use the fill and dump method of making the chocolate shells
- 12 tablespoons hot cocoa mix
- 6 tablespoons tiny marshmallows
- 12 M&M’s
- 24 1/2-inch candy eyes
- 24 candy antlers
- Half-sphere mold, a single cavity silicone mold, or a plastic ornament mold
- Using your mold of choice, fill the mold with chocolate.
- Tap the mold a few times to allow air bubbles to come to the surface and pop.
- Invert the mold over a bowl of chocolate and tap the side of the mold allowing the excess chocolate to drain out of the cavities.
- Scrape off the excess chocolate using a metal spatula or bench scraper to clean the edges of the chocolate.
- Turn the mold upside down and set it on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- If using pure chocolate chill it in the refrigerator until hardened, about 10-15 minutes. If using compound chocolate (candy melts) place the mold in the freezer for 5-10 minutes until the chocolate hardens.
- If needed, add a second layer of chocolate.
- If using a silicone mold with multiple cavities, fill about 1/3rd of a cavity with chocolate, and use a brush to paint the chocolate up the sides of the mold. Chill and if needed add a second coat of chocolate around the top edge.
- Make a total of 24 chocolate half-spheres and reserve the remaining chocolate for decorating.
- Fill 12 of the chocolate half-spheres with a tablespoon of hot cocoa mix.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of marshmallows over top.
- Heat a skillet over low heat for 20-30 seconds.
- Melt the top edge of one of the empty chocolates and place it over top of a filled chocolate. Press gently to seal the two pieces together.
- Drizzle chocolate over top of your hot chocolate bombs and decorate with sprinkles or other fun toppings.
- Attach one red candy nose, two candy eyes, and two candy antlers to the chocolate bombs using melted chocolate.
Now it’s time to enjoy the special treat! Follow these steps:
- Fill your festive mug halfway with very hot milk
- Add the chocolate bomb and pour a little more hot milk on top
- Watch that chocolate goodness melt, stir and enjoy!
- These hot chocolate bombs can be stored for up to 2 months at room temperature.
- Instead of using M&Ms, try your favourite candy/treat for the nose like Smarties or Reese’s Pieces candies.
- This treat is perfect to give as a small gift. Fill a cellophane treat bag with the Reindeer Hot Chocolate bombs, add a tag with a holiday message, some festive holiday ribbon and you have a gift almost anyone can enjoy!
- Another great option is a holiday treat box for a more formal packaging.
- Or place the cellophane wrapped hot chocolate bomb in a mug tied with a bow for a special packaged treat.