There is no more classic Easter dessert than a moist carrot cake; we have scoured the internet for the best recipe! This silky cream cheese frosting is optional – it makes a sweet and decadent dessert with the frosting, but without makes for a great snack or breakfast loaf option.
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups coarsely grated carrots (about 1 pound)
Light Cream Cheese Frosting (Optional):
- 12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with non-stick spray; line it with a piece of parchment paper, leaving an 1-inch overhang on 2 sides and spray the paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice in a medium bowl.
- In another medium bowl, whisk the eggs and sugars until pale; whisk in the oil, then the buttermilk and vanilla.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold in the carrots.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Using the parchment overhang, remove the cake from the pan.
- Frost the cooled cake with Light Creamy Frosting, if desired.
- Cut into 16 (2 by 3-inch) pieces and serve.
For the frosting:
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla.
- Spread the frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
Suggested Topping or Add-Ins
- Pecans or raisins
- Sprinkle your favourite nuts on top
- Add some coconut
- Top with colourful sprinkles
This delicious carrot cake is a perfect dessert option for your Easter gatherings. You don’t have to show up empty handed 😉
How to Make Homemade Carrot Cake | Easy Carrot Cake Recipe | Food Network Kitchen | Food Network