Mental Health matters and it’s great to see the shift in how we’re becoming more vocal about it today but we still have a long way to go. Finding help, solutions and strategies to build strength and resilience is vital. This pandemic has increased the struggles with mental health for so many. The constant changes, being disconnected from family and friends, juggling work from home while homeschooling our kids, and so many other factors have greatly impacted the state of our mental health.
The most important thing to know is that you are not alone. There are services readily available to help and there are many different activities that can help improve mental health as well.
If you’re struggling mentally or emotionally, you can talk to a professional, one-on-one, for free & confidential mental health support, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from Wellness Together Canada.
Call 1-866-585-0445 or text WELLNESS to:
‘686868’ for youth or ‘741741′ for adults
If you try just a few of these daily activities, you can improve your mental health. It doesn’t have to be complicated, let’s take a look at some simple and fun solutions!
- Spend time with nature – Start a garden, take your pup for a walk, read a book on your patio or take a nap under a tree. There are so many activities you could do outside to unwind and get grounded.
- Write – Start a journal, write down things you’re grateful for, get your thoughts out on paper. Writing can enhance self-awareness and ultimately decrease depressive symptoms, anxious thoughts and stress.
- Meditate – Meditating just a few minutes a day relaxes your mind, improves your mood and helps you to focus better.
- Read a book – Grab your favourite title, a cozy blanket and get lost in a good book. Reading helps improve your quality of sleep and reduces stress.
- Exercise – Exercising has many health benefits and is a great way to reduce feelings of depression and stress, enhance your mood and increases energy.
- Talk to someone – Talk to your closest friend or family member, or if you want a confidential conversation with a professional, call the number listed above.
- Invest time in a new hobby – Whether you’re gardening, scrapbooking, woodworking or collecting antiques, investing your time in a hobby you’re passionate about is a great way to boost your self-esteem.
- Deep breathing exercises – Deep breathing is one of the best ways to lower stress. Taking deep breaths will lower your heart rate and allows your body and mind to recharge, leaving you feeling more relaxed.
- Get lots of sleep – Getting enough sleep gives you the energy for your daily activities and helps you maintain focus throughout your day.
- Eat right! – To boost your mental health, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Plan well balanced meals and don’t skip a meal!
Try just a few of these activities, make it part of your routine and you’ll notice a difference in your mental health. Remember you are not alone and if you’re ready to talk to a professional, call 1-866-585-0445 or text WELLNESS to: 686868 for youth OR 741741 for adults.
For a little extra fun & joy, our Seasons Care team highly encourages a chocolate treat😉